What is illegal discrimination in housing?
It is illegal to discriminate in housing based on someone’s:
- National Origin
- Sex (includes sexual harassment)
- Familial status (having kids under the age of 18, being pregnant, or being a single father)
When do these laws apply?
- Purchasing property
- Harassment of a person within the community
- You have a service animal (such as a guide dog) and you are told “no pets allowed.”
- Your condo or homeowners association won’t let you make physical changes to your unit to meet your disability, such as installing a ramp after you’ve had a stroke.
What should I do ?
If you experience housing discrimination:
- Keep notes: write down what happened, when, where, and who was there.
- Keep things that have to do with the discrimination: all papers (leases, receipts, applications, letters of denial), and other things like e-mails, text messages, voice mails, and photographs.